Let's just talk about Saving Leimert and instead let it die a slow death

My favorite columnist Betty Pleasant, who also frustrates me, focuses on the effort to stop the revitalization of the Village, even as another store says it's barely surviving.

Betty says the people behind Save Leimert, who now run the Community Advisory Committee, told her that Councilman Parks is set to destroy Leimert Park Village and that he wants to replace the current business with Jamba Juices, Quiznos and Trader Joes.

No one mentions there are plenty of empty store fronts, not to mention hair and nail salons, where a juicer or a deli could go without displacing one of our great local businesses. And I've never heard any residents say anything about NOT wanting a Trader Joe's to replace the crappy Ralph's we have now.

The article then plays the race card calling Parks' plan "Eurocentric" and saying no one wants to redevelop Chinatown or Little Tokyo. And again it's not mentioned that the city is doing exactly that right now - helping both of those ethnic enclaves better serve their local residents.

“We are not against development,” declared Robert Rubio. “We want the village to be sustained and expanded as the African-American center of culture and commerce.”

No one - and I mean NO ONE - would disagree with that sentiment.

Ben Caldwell, owner of the Chaos Network on the corner of 43rd Place and Leimert Boulevard, said: “I want to see an Afrocentric community with a strong look that reflects our history. The people who think it should have a Eurocentric environment should move or go to those environments and let us be.”

Again I don't think there's disagreement here. One of the major design philosophies of the plan is keeping an African look and feel to any buidlings, artwork or design features that are proposed. But nothing is planned - all that is happening is that the zoning would be tweaked to attract investors to build on one of the empty parking lots (one used to have a theater) or to move in - perhaps to a now empty office.

Betty says: "These people’s fear of the Eurocentric is not paranoia because throughout the August meeting, the CRA/Parks forces repeatedly compared a redeveloped Leimert Village to the amenities offered in Culver City, The Grove and Larchmont Village."

Why wouldn't you want a Culver City or a Larchmont feel - If you've been there you know they are filled with small, local business.

I don't mind her opinion, but she should know both sides of the story. Instead she takes a faux pas by one of of Parks' aides (he allegedly told a rude audience member to shut up - never called for and what kind of politician is so ham fisted anyway?) to rail against this plan instead of looking at its merits.

Rep. Diane Watson told Betty: “The area is the most important and largest stronghold of middle and upper class African-Americans in the nation. We must save the integrity of Leimert Park’s historical significance to our community and preserve the character of the neighborhood, including the homes, apartments, parks and small businesses."

Betty also noted that "L.A. Commons has been working with several Leimert Park organizations, such as Chaos Network, World Stage and Dave (sic) and Ricky’s, to tell the story of the village." hmmm that's probably Babe and Ricky's Inn.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Leimert Park should have mixed use spaces. I wanted to open up a business there, but you know they don't have any mixed use spaces and as a younger person I can't afford to pay rent on two spots, which is why I'm now on the eastside of downtown, because they work with small business owners.

If Leimert Park wants to keep local business there (and get some young blood in there) they need to think about how they zone, because the commerical space around there is kind of expensive a little too expensive for a mom and pop or an art type place, but it's just the right price for a chain. If they changed the zoning they could have some thriving businesses run by younger people.

Browne
How much is it to rent a space in Leimert Park and how big is the space?
I've slowly been doing research and found that some of the most economically disadvantaged commercial areas in the city (Think downtown before the resurgence) were actually charging the equivalent of Beverly Hills rents. That makes no sense that the cheapy swap meet and flea market stores are Broadway are paying high class rents. But in the Downtown News, buried deep in the story, it was pointed out that the building owners will have to lower rents by like 2/3 to attract chain stores because they can't afford the price they were charging the minority businesses. I even asked an economist how that is and he had now answer. About the same time I read a story about how a Jamba juice was going out of business in Beverly Hills because the rent was jumping up from it's $11 per square foot lease. That's pretty cheap eh?
What's your business - Where is it - and how are they working with you? You should start a discussion with that info. And say "this is what it would take for me to move to Leimert Park"
Is there an alternate design that could do both? What if we get a major University to co-locate in Leimert?
Rand Corporation South? Has Anyone asked Bill Clinton if he prefers California Sunshine? I know, this is a little silly, but the point is, think outside the box. I clearly do not want the rich cultural heritage to disappear, but on the other hand, we need more $$$$$$$. As you know $$$$$$$$$ talks, especially when it adds more moola to the City coffers. We need to have our story out there in order to get the support that is needed. Look, if Paris Hilton (parents of Paris, no disrespect at all intended; this is a nod to her ability to get results) can hire a team and get the results and control of the image, then why not Leimert? Do you think Berry Gordy had a bunch of money when he started? Anyone ever consider talking to this Maestro?
I love what you're thinking - and I think this really has to be a grass roots surge because the establishment (both the businesses and elected leaders) are too entrenched to want CHANGE.

Rand, Clinton, Gordy - great even if difficult or impossible. We have a jewel here and I think when people know about it, they see the potential.

What I heard is that Magic Johnson wanted to redeveloped Marlton Square on the other side of Crenshaw Mall but he got in a tiff with Ridley-Thomas. And I also heard that Tavis Smiley, the talk show host, was ready to build a three-story recording studio with a restaurant, but the business owners chased him away and Parks stood by and did nothing. So people have been attracted and willing to invest - but they are only going to do it if they are met with open arms.

I think the residents are ready, we just need to be louder than those who are afraid of moving forward, afraid of progress, afraid of change. At the same time, we do have to fight for keeping the heritage that makes this place special.

RSS

Leimert Park Beat is the news and social network for Leimert Park and the surrounding neighborhoods. Stay informed. Join now!

• Got news you think everyone should know? Blog it.

• Have a show or attending a benefit? Put it on the calendar.
• Video of the big game? Embed it.
• Photos of your business or the school play? Upload them.

WHAT STORIES WOULD YOU SUGGEST? Let me know.

With your help, LeimertParkBeat.com raised money to hire reporters, graphic artists and community members to cover our area.
Read the stories - Urban Economy 411, Redevelopment Hell and One of these don't belong.

Latest Activity

Dr. Angela Butts Chester posted a blog post

Elevating Voices: Dr. Angela Butts Chester's Impact Recognized by Marquis Who's Who

From Talk Radio Host to Global Influencer: A Visionary Leader in Women's Empowerment Takes Her Place Amongst the BestLONG BEACH, Calif. - April 15, 2024 - Dr. Angela Butts Chester, a distinguished figure in the…See More
Apr 15
Mistah Wilson's blog post was featured

Soul The Interrogator talks Hip Hop Histories & His New Album "Ol' Head" (Exclusive Interview)

Seattle rapper Soul The Interrogator talks General Background, TakeOver Music Collective, & His Latest Album Ol' Head…See More
Apr 13
Stevie Mack's blog post was featured

Comedian Stevie Mack Performing Live at The Comedy Store

Friday April 12th @ 6pmStevie Mack performs stand up comedy with a nice line up of funny Comedians. Location:THE COMEDY…See More
Apr 13
Mistah Wilson's event was featured
Thumbnail

ARTWALK – LEIMERT PARK VILLAGE LIVE EXPERIENCE at Leimert Park

April 28, 2024 from 12pm to 6pm
The Leimert Park Artwalk is a monthly public celebration of Art, Music, Cinema,& History. The Artwalk takes place the last Sunday of each month in Leimert Park Village, the cultural hub of the Black arts community.It is a FREE event featuring…See More
Apr 13
Profile IconPj, Greg Perez, catherine martin and 2 more joined Leimert Park Beat
Apr 13

Cynthia Corsetti and Dr. Angela Butts Chester: Pioneering Leadership Excellence

Renowned leadership coach Cynthia Corsetti, with nearly 13 years of experience in coaching C-suite executives, unveils a groundbreaking approach to leadership development. Drawing from her extensive background as a former C-suite executive herself,…See More
Mar 27
Stevie Mack posted a blog post

Comedian Stevie Mack Performing Live at The Comedy Store

Friday April 12th @ 6pmStevie Mack performs stand up comedy with a nice line up of funny Comedians. Location:THE COMEDY…See More
Mar 22

Embark on a Transformative Journey of Self-Discovery with "Emerge with Self-Love"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEEmbark on a Transformative Journey of Self-Discovery with "Emerge with Self-Love"Long Beach, CA, March 7, 2024 – Today marks the release of a groundbreaking collaborative effort, "Emerge with Self-Love," a motivational guide…See More
Mar 7

© 2024   Created by enhager.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service